Current track

Title

Artist

Current show

Non-Stop HMR!

06:00 19:00


ECB chief has no intention of stepping down as clubs grapple with racism scandal

Written by on 19/11/2021

The chief executive of the England and Wales Cricket Board has said he has no intention of stepping down, as the game grapples with a racism scandal.

Tom Harrison said he was still “motivated to lead” the clubs through the crisis, following a meeting aimed at addressing the issue which has engulfed the sport in recent weeks.

Mr Harrison said: “I feel very determined to lead this change through the game and make sure this blight is addressed through the game.

“…I do want to make sure I leave a game that has the right safe kind of environment to ensure everyone feels safe and welcomed.”

The meeting included the chairs of the 18 first-class counties, representatives of the 21 non-first class cricket boards, the national counties cricket association and the MCC.

Mr Harrison promised “tangible action” but said a full 12-point plan would be revealed on Wednesday.

Earlier, Lincolnshire County Cricket chairman Rob Bradley told Sky News about the meeting, saying: “There is a lot of strong feeling.

More from UK

Lincolnshire chairman Rob Bradley outside The Oval, London where a meeting took place with chairs of the 18 first-class counties, joined by representatives of the 21 non-first class cricket boards, the national counties cricket association and the MCC. Picture date: Friday November 19, 2021.
Image: Lincolnshire County Cricket chairman Rob Bradley said the ECB would ‘hold their hands up to certain things’

“I think the ECB are going to hold their hands up to certain things.”

He added: “We’ve got to learn a lot of lessons from this. The game has got to stand up and represent everybody equally.

“It’s in a sorry state, it has to be said, but I think it was a good meeting today to start to address things.”

Follow the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

Hampshire Cricket Board chairman John Wolfe said that the 64 people involved in the meeting had found “very broad agreement on the direction of travel”, with Chris Clements, chairman of Oxfordshire Cricket, describing the meeting as “very good”.

Howard Moxon, from Bedfordshire Cricket, said those at the meeting had agreed to measures that are “fundamental and far-reaching… right across the game”.

The ECB, the MCC, the PCA, NCCA and the First Class and Recreational County Cricket network, said: “We stand together against discrimination in all its forms, and are united as a sport to act. We will continue to listen, and make swift, positive changes to the culture of the game. We will embrace and celebrate differences everywhere, knowing that with diversity, we are stronger.

“Today, as a game, we discussed a series of tangible commitments to make cricket a sport where everyone feels safe, and everyone feels included. We will now finalise the detail and publish these actions next week.

“Our game must win back your trust.”

Among recent developments in the scandal:

• Former Yorkshire cricketer Azeem Rafiq has apologised after he admitted making antisemitic comments a decade ago.

Rafiq earlier this week gave tearful testimony to MPs about the racism he had faced when playing for Yorkshire, revelations which sparked the scandal and led cricket bosses to hold Friday’s crisis summit.

• English cricketer Alex Hales also apologised on Friday for appearing in blackface at a party in 2009, branding his behaviour “reckless and foolish”.

• Sports minister Nigel Huddleston on Thursday threatened the sport with an independent regulator, described as the “nuclear option” if it could not get its house in order.

 Sky News

© Sky News 2020

Tagged as