Current track



Current show

Family ‘immensely proud’ of man who died trying to help child believed to be in danger

Written by on 03/07/2021

The family of a man who died after going to help a child believed to be in danger has said they are “immensely proud” of him.

The body of Richard Woodcock, 38, was found by police when officers forced their way into a property in Two Mile Ash in Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, after they were called to a disturbance at around 9.40am on 26 June.

Another man, Kelvin Odichukumma Igweani, 24, was shot at four times by police at the property and pronounced dead, Milton Keynes Coroner’s Court was told this week.

A child was taken to hospital with injuries after being removed from the house
Image: A child was taken to hospital with injuries after being removed from the house

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), which is investigating the circumstances surrounding the shooting, said that officers also found a two-year-old child with serious injuries at the property, who as of Friday, was in a life-threatening condition in hospital.

In a statement, Mr Woodcock’s family said: “We have always been so proud of Richard and everything that he has achieved in life.

“We are devastated that Richard has been taken from us in such circumstances but we are also so immensely proud of the sacrifice that he has made to try and save a little boy’s life.

“His actions on Saturday morning were the type of man he was and that is how we would like him remembered.

More on Buckinghamshire

“A lot of people loved Richard, probably more than he ever realised, and he will be a huge loss to all of his friends, family and work colleagues.”

Mr Woodcock’s wife added: “Richard it has been a blessing to share my life with you, my dearest friend, my biggest love, my soul mate.

Police say cordons are likely to remain for some time
Image: Police were called to an ongoing disturbance

“My kind, generous, funny, clever, cheeky husband.

“Thank you for loving me and being the best father to our children. I’ll love you and cherish our time together forever.”

Two separate hearings were opened on Friday into the deaths of Mr Woodcock and Mr Igweani.

Speaking at the opening of the inquest into Mr Woodcock’s death, Detective Chief Inspector Stuart Blaik, from Thames Valley Police’s major crime unit, said that Mr Igweani was suspected of murdering Mr Woodcock.

He added that police took a 999 call about an ongoing disturbance in the area, saying neighbours reported hearing a female voice screaming for help.

Det Ch Supt Blaik said that a woman and a young child managed to get out the building before officers arrived but it is believed that Mr Woodcock, who was from a neighbouring address, had gone to save a young boy who was thought to be at risk of harm.

He added that when police had forced their way in, they immediately saw a dead body, which was identified as Mr Woodcock.

 Sky News

© Sky News 2020

Tagged as