Migrant, 16, found dead on beach in Calais
Written by Hit Music Radio News on 19/08/2020
A 16-year-old Sudanese migrant has been found dead on a beach in Calais.
Home Secretary Priti Patel said the incident was an “upsetting and tragic loss of a young life”.
She added: “This horrendous incident serves as a brutal reminder of the abhorrent criminal gangs and people smugglers who exploit vulnerable people.
“Working together we are determined to stop them.”
This is an upsetting and tragic loss of a young life.
This horrendous incident serves as a brutal reminder of the abhorrent criminal gangs and people smugglers who exploit vulnerable people.
Working together we are determined to stop them. https://t.co/ARZovx8RUf
— Priti Patel (@pritipatel) August 19, 2020
French minister Marlene Schiappa said the teenager, who disappeared at sea, was found on the beach of Sangatte on Tuesday morning.
Ms Schiappa, who is in charge of citizenship in France’s government, also highlighted the need to tackle smugglers.
She tweeted: “Immense sadness: A 16-year-old Sudanese migrant who disappeared in the sea last night was found dead in the beach in Sangatte this morning.”
Bella Sankey, director of Detention Action, described the incident as “horrifying”.
She said: “It is devastating to learn that a child has now died in the Channel while trying to seek safety in the UK.
“This is a horrifying but wholly expected death.
“We have repeatedly warned Priti Patel it was only a matter of time before her toxic policy to deny safe and legal routes to the UK would cost lives.
“This death lies firmly at her door. She should consider her position.”
Meanwhile, children were among dozens of migrants who arrived in Dover on Wednesday morning.
More than 50 people were taken into the Kent port on Wednesday morning aboard a lifeboat and a Border Force vessel.
The new arrivals came amid urgent discussions on where to house migrant children who travel to the UK without a family.
Earlier this week, it emerged that any new, unaccompanied asylum-seeking children would be left without Border Force after Kent County Council announced it had reached capacity.
The situation has been described as a “scandal” and a “political failure” by charities, who have called on the government to urgently make change.
© Sky News 2020