More than 2,000 homes evacuated after ‘unexploded Second World War bomb’ found
Written by Hit Music Radio News on 27/02/2021
Bomb disposal experts have evacuated 2,600 homes after a suspected unexploded Second World War bomb was found in Exeter.
Royal Navy bomb disposal teams were sent to Glenthorne Road near the University of Exeter at 9am on Friday.
They found a “possible unexploded World War Two device” on a building site to the west of the university campus and worked through the night ahead of a disposal operation on Saturday.
Today the Army has evacuated around 2,600 properties so teams can examine the device and remove it from the site safely.
A 400-metre cordon and nearby road closures are also in place, Devon and Cornwall Police said.
“Police hope this work will be completed by the end of today, but will be guided by the bomb disposal team,” a statement said.
“Residents should be reassured that military, police and partners are working to maintain public safety.”
They added that “exemptions in COVID-19 social distancing rules exist for matters of public safety such as this”.
Deb Leighton Plom was evacuated from her home on Friday.
She posted a photo of the device on Twitter and said she and her family had been safely moved to a hotel.
© Sky News 2020