Current track

Title

Artist

Current show

Non-Stop HMR!

06:00 19:00


Prince Harry ‘has spoken to Charles and William since Oprah interview’ – but talks ‘not productive’

Written by on 16/03/2021

The Duke of Sussex has spoken to his father, the Prince of Wales, and his brother, the Duke of Cambridge, following the explosive interview he and wife Meghan gave to Oprah Winfrey, according to a US TV host.

Gayle King, an anchor for This Morning on CBS – the same network which broadcast the programme – said she had since called the US-based royal couple to “see how they were feeling”.

Unfortunately, she said, talks between Prince Harry and his family back in the UK were “not productive”.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Gayle King: Harry ‘has spoken’ to father and brother

Speaking on Tuesday, just over a week since the interview aired, King said: “I’m not trying to break news, but I did actually call them to see how they were feeling.

“And it’s true Harry has talked to his brother and he has talked to his father, too.

“The word I was given was that those conversations were not productive – but they are glad that they have at least started a conversation.

“And I think what is still upsetting to them is that the palace keeps saying they want to work it out privately, but yet they believe these false stories are coming out that are very disparaging against Meghan still.”

More from Duchess Of Sussex

“No one in the royal family has talked to Meghan yet,” King claimed.

King was likely referring to the backlash the couple – especially Meghan – have faced since the interview aired, with a subsequent poll suggesting public opinion of them in the UK had dropped to an all-time low.

Harry and Meghan's interview with Oprah could be a difficult watch for the Royal Family
Image: The talks with the Prince of Wales and Duke Cambridge were said to be ‘not productive’

It comes after the Sussexes told Winfrey that an unnamed royal had raised concerns about what colour the skin of their son Archie would be.

The former Suits actor also revealed she was denied help while feeling suicidal by parts of royal institution, which resulted in many viewers speaking out in support of her willingness to talk publicly about mental health.

Later it was confirmed that the royal person who allegedly raised concerns about Archie’s skin was not the Queen, nor the Duke of Edinburgh, who today returned to Windsor Castle after spending a month in hospital.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Prince William: ‘We are not a racist family’

Meanwhile, former first lady Michelle Obama has said it “wasn’t a complete surprise” to hear about the claims of racism in the Royal Family.

The only royal to specifically address those allegations so far is Prince William, with the Duke of Cambridge saying when asked by Sky News that the royals were “not a racist family”.

Image: The statement released by Buckingham Palace after the interview with Oprah Winfrey

Following the claims made in the Sussexes’ interview, Buckingham Palace released a statement: “The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan.

“The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. Whilst some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately.

“Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members.”

 Sky News

© Sky News 2020

Tagged as