‘Renewables not to blame for power cut’
Written by Hit Music Radio News on 14/08/2019
Britain’s power grid operator has ruled out renewables as the reason behind last week’s power cut.
The boss of National Grid told Sky News that there was “nothing to indicate there is anything to do with the fact that we’re moving to more wind or more solar” power.
On Friday, nearly one million people were affected by an outage for up to an hour in London, the South East, swathes of the Midlands, and the North West. Newcastle Airport was plunged into darkness for about 15 minutes too.
John Pettigrew, chief executive of National Grid said: “At this point in investigation that doesn’t seem to be anything about the technology. It is about the size of those two generators failing.”
He also hit out at critics that suggested there have been numerous ‘near misses’ in the past saying it was ‘scaremongering’.
He added: “I have been with the company for 28 years. Only once in that period we’ve had two generators of that size fail simultaneously.”
The Government has said an emergency committee will investigate what caused the power cut and if correct procedures were followed, as well as whether improvements are needed in future.
The review will be in addition to an investigation by the energy regulator Ofgem as well as National Grid’s own report that will be published later this week.
© Sky News 2019